But recently I have had the urge to take that last step and downsize to ONE CAMERA - ONE LENS.
I spent a sad amount of time deliberating the next purchase:
- What single focal length suits me best?
- What features can't I live without? Viewfinder? tilty screen? Fast lens?
- Do a want a new camera, or one lens for the NEX?
- Do I dare get a small sensor'd p&s as my only camera?
- Do I "cheat" and get a zoom?
- How compact do I actually want/need?
I used various methods to attempt to solve this. I parsed 10 years of EXIF data, across several cameras, hoping for an answer. I tried using my wife's Panasonic LX-7 to see which focal lengths I used most and if I could stand a small sensor.
Nothing was conclusive.
So I just looked at most recent shots. By this time, I had sold all the lenses for my NEX-6, and had nothing to shoot with. I DID find I was missing the two Sigma primes, especially the 19mm. When I looked at the last year's worth of shots, they WERE mostly with that lens. But could a 28mm equivalent really be my ONLY focal length?? I just spent the last few months wondering if 35 was too wide, or if 50mm was too tight. Surely, a 28mm is less than ideal; not wide enough to be wide, and no where near tight enough for even standard walk around shots.
Well, In the end, I just went with my gut. I purchased the camera that seemed absolutely insane on paper, but that I also couldn't stop thinking about.
- Fixed 28mm(equiv): TOO WIDE!
- ONLY f/2.8: TOO SLOW!
- ONLY 16MP: TOO SMALL!
- NO Tilt screen: HOW CAN YOU GET THOSE TOUGH ANGLE SHOTS?!
- NO EVF: WHAT ABOUT BRIGHT DAYLIGHT?!
- Slow AF: SLOW!
- No Image Stabilization: HANDHELD NEVERMORE!
What can I say? This is the camera I have been looking for since before I knew I was looking. Not only is it more than the sum of it's parts, it's orders of magnitude thereof. Im so taken with this camera, that I'm considering getting a GR1 film camera.
Here she is, shots taken with the LX-7 in 1:1 (these are not crops):
dolled up/red lipstick/night-on-the-town mode
Ridiculous transformers mode
obligatory banana for scale (this thing is tiny)
Stay tuned for some actual pictures from the camera.